Author: Kakali Roy Chowdhury
You cannot be called a Bengali if you don’t understand how special sweets are. However, why would you buy sweets every time if you can make them at home? Here is an easy recipe for Bhapa Sandesh!
Preparation Time: 45 minutes
Ingredients for Bhapa Sandesh:
- Cottage Cheese – 500 g
- Egg White – 2
- Vanilla Essence – few drops
- Pistachio Nuts – 5
- Sugar – 150g
Method for making Bhapa Sandesh:
- Finely chop pistachio nuts.
- Mix cottage cheese, egg white, sugar, and vanilla extract in a blender.
- Place the mixture in a small greased baking dish.
- Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil. Pour water in a large baking dish. Place the small baking dish in it.
- Set the oven temperature at 175ºC. Bake for 30 minutes or until the mixture has set.
- If you do not have an oven, place the mixture in a greased container. Put the lid on. Put about 1½ cup water in a pressure cooker.
- Place the container in the cooker, such that the container is half immersed in water. Pressure cook for 5 whistles.
- Remove baked cheese from the baking dish/lidded container. Cut into diamond or square shapes.
- Garnish with chopped pistachio nuts.
- Serve Bhapa Sandesh at room temperature.
Kakali Roy Chowdhury lives in Gurgaon. She loves to dance and sing. She spends her time watching many dance shows and concerts.
Her passion: Cooking and fashion.