This recipe is a very special one for me. This is my Thamma’s bread pudding. Throughout my childhood, I’ve been hearing about this special recipe of hers from everyone. I have tasted that also when I was very little.
My Ditima (Dida), who got the recipe from Thamma makes it quite often and it is absolutely delicious. This still remains as one of my all-time favourite desserts. It is a simple dish which will surely be your family favourite too.
- Milk – 4 Cups
- Milk Powder – 2 to 3 teaspoons
- Sugar – 4 heaped Tablespoons
- Bread – 6 pcs crustless white bread
- Eggs- 4 (room temperature)
- Vanilla – 2 teaspoons
- Sugar – 1 Tablespoon
- Water – 1 Tablespoon
- Boil the milk along with the milk powder and let it thicken.
- Add the sugar to the milk mixture until combined.
- Take off from the heat, mix in the small pieces of bread in the milk mixture.
- Strain the mixture through a sieve.
- Only after the mixture cools down a bit, whisk in the eggs one by one. Do not mix the eggs if the mixture is hot.
Add the vanilla into the mixture as well.
- Prepare the cake tin or pan in which you want to steam the pudding in. Grease the sides of the tin very lightly with butter and keep it aside.
- Add the sugar and the water in a pan on low-medium heat. Do not stir the mixture.
- Wait for the caramel to turn dark golden brown. Quickly add it to the tin and spread it so that it covers the entire base of the tin.
- Be careful as this mixture is really hot.
1. Bake at 180°C or steam for about 35-40 mins, until it is wobbly in the middle and a toothpick inserted, comes out clean.
2. Once you take it out of the oven or pressure cooker, let it cool at room temperature and then refrigerate for 2-3 hours and then flip it onto your favourite plate. Your labour of love will be ready for you and your loved ones to consume.
- Adding milk powder will help in thickening the milk mixture faster.
- Use room temperature eggs.
Join the Conversation
I love pudding !!
I will definitely try this, it seems very delicious and yummy, thanks Mumu for sharing the recipe…😋